K. Knox Nunnally
A former U. S. Marine Corps infantry officer and Harris County Prosecutor, Knox has adapted his unique background to aggressively pursue and fight civil litigation for his clients. He holds a wide range of litigation experience in matters involving disputes over oil and gas matters, general commercial litigation, personal injury claims and employment contract claims. As lead attorney, he has taken 25 jury trials to verdict and relishes any opportunity to advocate in the courtroom. He has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts and has argued appellate matters before both state and federal appellate courts.
Knox has specific experience in litigating oil and gas disputes dealing with royalty payments, joint operating agreements, oil and gas leases, mineral title, asset acquisition and divestiture, mineral lien enforcement, and trespass. He has represented parties on all sides of these matters, including mineral interest owners, surface owners, oil and gas producers, purchasers and service companies. He further has extensive experience in drafting and negotiating oil and gas leases and pipeline easements/ROW agreements.
Knox is familiar with working closely with both in-house teams to identify legal exposure in current operations and to help develop management practices and procedures to reduce liability and prepare companies for dealing with future litigation before it arises. Once litigation is commenced, on any matter, he approaches and prepares as if it is going to trial, while at the same time remaining cognizant of his client’s underlying business objectives.
Before joining Ware Jackson, Knox handled energy and commercial litigation for two large international law firms in Houston. He also prosecuted criminal cases for three years as an assistant district attorney for the Harris County District Attorney’s Office in Houston, Texas.
Prior to commencing his legal career, Knox served as an infantry officer and light armored reconnaissance officer for the U.S. Marine Corps, before his honorable discharge as a captain. He completed three combat deployments to Iraq and was awarded the Bronze Star with Combat V, a Purple Heart, and two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals with Combat Vs.
Outside of work, Knox enjoys spending time with his family and pursuing his two favorite hobbies of cattle ranching and bird hunting.
- Represented a publicly traded energy company in the defense of several royalty lawsuits dealing with gas royalties and the deductibility of post-production costs.
- Represented a publicly traded energy company in the defense of a nuisance lawsuit related to hydraulic fracking.
- Represented ExxonMobil as plaintiff in a maritime allision claim against a shipping company that damaged a refinery dock.
- Represented U. S. Steel in defense of a breach of contract/breach of warranty/products liability case involving casing materials on a well site, obtaining a non-suit from Plaintiff.
- Represented an oilfield equipment manufacturer in defense of a products liability / breach of warranty / breach of contract case involving the failure or commercial liquid storage tanks.
- Represented a national oilfield service company as plaintiff in a mineral lien case against a publicly traded energy company obtaining a high six figure settlement.
- Represented a Titan International in defense of a breach of contract case involving a contract to sell large mining tires in Russia.
- Represented a start-up apparel company as plaintiff in a breach of contract case against the manufacturer of the apparel, obtaining a six figure jury verdict in Harris County, Texas. The case later settled for a confidential sum.
- Represented a local commercial landlord in defense of a trade infringement case involving the sale of counterfeit luxury items.
Labor / Employment:
- Represented an oilfield service company and employee in defense of a non-compete lawsuit filed by the former employer.
- Represented a national bank and employee in a non-compete lawsuit against a former employer.
- Represented a publicly traded heavy equipment manufacturer as plaintiff in enforcement of a non-compete and theft of trade secrets matter against former employees and their new employer. Argued appeal of denial of Defendants’ Anti-SLAPP motion to the Texas 1st COA .
- Represented Waste Management, Inc. in the defense of a billion dollar enforcement action brought by Harris County. The defense was called “one of the greatest defense victories in Texas history” by The Texas Lawbook (November 14, 2014).
- Represented Waste Management, Inc. in the defense of a toxic tort brought by landowners for legacy contamination.
- Represented Waste Management, Inc. in the defense of a toxic tort brought by Galveston Bay commercial fishermen for contamination of shrimp and oyster catches.
- Represented the Joe’s Crab Shack restaurant chain in a personal injury case, obtaining a no-liability summary judgment.
- Represented Fry’s Electronics, Inc. in defense of a personal injury case, obtaining a no-liability summary judgment.
- Represented Fry’s Electronics, Inc. in defense of a breach of warranty/breach of contract case, obtaining a jury verdict of no liability in Tarrant County, Texas.
- Represented a Texas death row inmate, Anthony Shore, on the federal appeal of his death sentence by a Harris County, Texas jury. Presented oral argument to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit in November of 2016.
Awards and Honors
- Named to “Texas Rising Stars,” Business Litigation, Super Lawyers, ThomsonReuters, 2018
- Named a “Lawyer on the Rise,” Texas Lawyer, 2017
- Elected fellow in Texas Bar Foundation, 2015
- Appointed Co-Chair, Judicial Polls Committee, Houston Bar Association (HBA)2013-2014
- Appointed Co-Chair, Speakers Bureau Committee, Houston Bar Association (HBA), 2014-2015
- Appointed Co-Chair of Membership Committee, Houston Bar Association (HBA), 2014-2015
- Appointed an Ambassador of the Houston Bar Association (HBA) 2014
- Recipient, President’s Award, Houston Bar Association, 2014
- Honored as a distinguished alumni of River Oaks Baptist School, 2005
- Board Member of the Travis Manion Foundation
- Legacy Council Member, Darrel K. Royal Dementia and Alzheimer’s Research Fund, 2014-2018
- Armed Forces Appreciation Day Committee Member, Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
- Member, American Legion
- Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Founder and Member, Tom T. Waugh Society
- Member, 2nd Marine Division Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Click here to download or print Knox’s profile.