Avery joined Ware Jackson in 2013 after graduating from the University of Houston Law Center. While in law school, he was a member of Business and Tax Law Journal and the Mock Trial Team. Upon graduation, Avery was awarded the International Academy of Trial Lawyers Award and inducted into the Order of Barristers, a national honor society whose purpose is the encouragement of oral advocacy and brief writing skills.
Since joining the firm, Avery has successfully represented plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of high-stakes litigation, including products liability, personal injury, construction, and oil and gas. Avery also volunteers as a pro bono attorney with the Houston Bar Association’s Houston Volunteer Lawyers representing indigent Houstonians.
When he’s not at work, Avery is with his wife, Sarah, and their two sons. He enjoys fly fishing, bird hunting, and spending time on his family’s ranch in Cuero, Texas.
Some of Avery’s representative matters include:
- Represented blowout preventer manufacturer in federal lawsuit seeking more than $70 million in damages allegedly arising from blowout of natural gas well in Gulf of Mexico. Secured favorable summary judgment rulings, including a full award of attorneys’ fees and costs for client.
- Represented leading global energy trading company in lawsuit brought by former employee alleging he was entitled to $1.1 million bonus. Secured summary judgment ruling dismissing the plaintiff’s claims.
- Represented business owner accused of fraud by former business partner seeking $17 million in damages. Secured complete defense verdict at trial plus an award of attorneys’ fees and expenses for client.
- Represented Fortune 200 company in arbitration brought by homeowners seeking more than $15 million in damages for alleged fraud related to flooding of subdivision. Secured favorable settlement.
- Represented fabrication contractor in multi-million-dollar construction litigation in federal court arising from allegations of design flaws, installation errors, late delivery, and unpaid invoices. Secured favorable settlement.
- Represented private equity firm in litigation stemming from firm’s takeover of pipeline services company and subsequent termination of company’s CEO, who sought more than $10 million in damages. Secured favorable settlement.
- Represented individual accused of breaching non-competition agreement by former employer. Secured favorable settlement.