K. Knox Nunnally
A former U. S. Marine Corps infantry officer and Harris County Prosecutor, Knox has adapted his unique background to aggressively pursue and fight civil litigation for his clients. He holds a wide range of litigation and arbitration experience in matters involving contract disputes over oil and gas matters, general business litigation, personal injury claims and employment contract claims. As lead attorney, he has taken 25 jury trials to verdict and relishes any opportunity to advocate in the courtroom. He has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts and has argued appellate matters before both state and federal appellate courts.
In oil and gas matters, Knox has represented landowners, midstream companies, service companies, and operators in contract and property disputes, intellectual property disputes, eminent domain disputes, force majeure disputes, royalty disputes, wrongful death and personal injury disputes, lease termination/perpetuation disputes, and an array of other issues related to the upstream and midstream oil and gas sector. He further has extensive experience in drafting and negotiating oil and gas leases, top leases, joint operating agreements, surface use agreements, accommodation agreements, pipeline easements/ROW agreements, option agreements, and solar leases.
In intellectual property matters Knox has experience involving a wide range of disputes, representing both plaintiffs and defendants in claims involving trade secrets, trademarks, copyrights, unfair competition, and breach of contract.
In executive-employment contract disputes Knox has experience in representing both employers and executive level employees in contract negotiations, severance agreement negotiations, non-compete, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreement disputes, and wrongful termination fights.
Additionally, Knox regularly advises directors, boards, and senior executives on the full range of corporate governance matters that confront companies and their leadership.
Knox is familiar with working closely with both in-house teams to identify legal exposure in current operations and to help develop management practices and procedures to reduce liability and prepare companies for dealing with future litigation before it arises. Once litigation is commenced, on any matter, he approaches and prepares as if it is going to trial, while at the same time remaining cognizant of his client’s underlying business objectives.
Prior to commencing his legal career, Knox served as an infantry officer and light armored reconnaissance officer for the U.S. Marine Corps, before his honorable discharge as a captain. He completed three combat deployments to Iraq and was awarded the Bronze Star with Combat V, a Purple Heart, and two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals with Combat Vs.
Outside of work, Knox enjoys spending time with his family and pursuing his two favorite hobbies of cattle ranching and bird hunting.
- Represented a Permian Basin landowner in a breach of contract/trespass case against a publicly traded midstream company obtaining a seven-figure settlement for the landowner.
- Represented U. S. Steel, in defense of a breach of contract/breach of warranty/products liability case involving casing materials on a well site, obtaining a non-suit from Plaintiff.
- Represented Schneider National as plaintiff in a mineral lien case against a publicly traded energy company obtaining a high six figure settlement.
- Represented multiple landowners in royalty disputes matters with operators in the Permian Basin, Eagle Ford and Haynesville oil fields.
- Represented multiple landowners in breach of mineral and surface lease disputes with operators in the Permian Basin.
- Represented start-up oil and gas operator as plaintiff in theft of trade secrets and breach of contract claim against private equity backer.
Energy Lease Negotiation:
- Represented multiple landowners in drafting and negotiating mineral leases with operators.
- Represented multiple landowners in drafting and negotiating surface use agreements with operators.
- Represented multiple landowners in drafting and negotiating ROWs with pipeline and power companies.
- Represented multiple landowners in drafting and negotiating solar option to lease and lease agreements for solar facilities.
- Represented John Paul DeJoria, former owner of Patron Tequila and founder of Paul Mitchell, in a breach of fiduciary duty matter involving an oilfield water remediation company that went bankrupt, obtaining a no-liability judgment.
- Represented Dresser-Rand Corporation in a theft of trade secret matter and defeated an ANTI-SLAPP motion by the defendants both in the trial court and after oral argument to a panel of the Texas 1st Court of Appeals.
- Represented a start-up apparel company as plaintiff in a breach of contract case against the manufacturer of the apparel, obtaining a six-figure jury verdict in Harris County, Texas.
Employment Contract Claims:
- Represented an oilfield service company executive in defense of a non-compete/non solicitation lawsuit filed by the former employer.
- Represented an oilfield service company as plaintiff in a non-compete lawsuit and theft of trade secret action against several former employees.
- Represented multiple private equity partners in defense of non-competes and negotiation of severance agreements with former private equity employer.
- Represented multiple businesses on the drafting and enforcement of non-competes, non-solicitation agreements, and confidentiality agreements.
- Represented Dresser-Rand as plaintiff in enforcement of a non-compete and theft of trade secrets matter against former employees and their new employer. Argued appeal of denial of Defendants’ Anti-SLAPP motion to the Texas 1st COA.
Toxic Tort Litigation:
- Represented Waste Management, Inc. in the defense of a billion-dollar enforcement action brought by Harris County. The defense was called “one of the greatest defense victories in Texas history” by The Texas Lawbook (November 14, 2014).
- Represented Waste Management, Inc. in the defense of a toxic tort brought by landowners for legacy contamination.
- Represented Waste Management, Inc. in the defense of a toxic tort brought by Galveston Bay commercial fishermen for contamination of shrimp and oyster catches.
- Represented landowner as plaintiff against oil and gas operator for trespass and contamination of surface estate in Eagle Ford.
- Represented landowner as plaintiff against oil and gas operator for trespass and contamination of surface estate in Permian Basin.
Personal Injury Litigation:
- Represented the Joe’s Crab Shack restaurant chain in a personal injury case, obtaining a no-liability summary judgment in Harris County, Texas.
- Represented Fry’s Electronics, Inc. in defense of a personal injury case, obtaining a no-liability summary judgment in Harris County, Texas.
- Represented Fry’s Electronics, Inc. in defense of a breach of warranty/breach of contract case, obtaining a jury verdict of no liability in Tarrant County, Texas.
- Represented multiple transgender clients navigate the Texas legal process related to name and gender correction on official government documents.
- Represented a Texas death row inmate, Anthony Shore, on the federal appeal of his death sentence by a Harris County, Texas jury. Presented oral argument to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit in November of 2016.
Awards and Honors
- Honored with the 2020 Bishop’s Alumni Award by Episcopal High School
- Featured as the cover story of the 2019 Super Lawyers Magazine, “The Greater Good”
- Named to “Texas Rising Stars,” Business Litigation, Super Lawyers, ThomsonReuters, 2018-2019
- Named a “Lawyer on the Rise,” Texas Lawyer, 2017
- Appointed Co-Chair, Speakers Bureau Committee, Houston Bar Association (HBA), 2014-2015
- Appointed Co-Chair of Membership Committee, Houston Bar Association (HBA), 2014-2015
- Appointed an Ambassador of the Houston Bar Association (HBA) 2014
- Recipient, President’s Award, Houston Bar Association, 2014
- Appointed Co-Chair, Judicial Polls Committee, Houston Bar Association (HBA)2013-2014
- Honored as a distinguished alumnus of River Oaks Baptist School, 2005
- Member, National Association of Royalty Owners (“NARO”)
- Member, Texas Land & Mineral Owners Association (“TLMA”)
- Board Member, Letting Everyone Achieve Dreams (“LEAD”)
- Legacy Council Member, Darrel K. Royal Dementia and Alzheimer’s Research Fund, 2014-2019
- Committee Member, Armed Forces Appreciation Day, Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
- Member, American Legion
- Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Founder and Member, Tom T. Waugh Society
- Member, 2nd Marine Division Association
- Advisory Board Member Sam Houston Council, BSA
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas