K. Knox Nunnally
A former U. S. Marine Corps infantry officer and Harris County Prosecutor, Knox has adapted his unique background to aggressively pursue and fight civil litigation for his clients. He holds a wide range of litigation experience in matters involving contract disputes over oil and gas matters, general business litigation, personal injury claims and employment contract claims. As lead attorney, he has taken 25 jury trials to verdict and relishes any opportunity to advocate in the courtroom. He has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts and has argued appellate matters before both state and federal appellate courts.
Knox has specific experience in litigating oil and gas disputes dealing with oil and gas royalty underpayments, oil and gas lease termination issues, joint operating agreements, oil and gas leases in general, mineral title, asset acquisition and divestiture, mineral lien enforcement, and trespass. He has represented parties on all sides of these matters, including mineral interest owners, surface owners, oil and gas producers, purchasers and service companies. He further has extensive experience in drafting and negotiating oil and gas leases, pipeline easements/ROW agreements and solar facility leases.
Knox is familiar with working closely with in-house teams to both identify legal exposure in current operations and to help develop management practices and procedures to reduce liability and prepare companies for dealing with future litigation before it arises. Once litigation is commenced, on any matter, he approaches and prepares as if it is going to trial, while at the same time remaining cognizant of his client’s underlying business objectives.
Before joining Ware Jackson, Knox handled business and oil and gas related litigation for the two law firms of Bracewell and McGuireWoods in Houston. He also prosecuted criminal cases for three years as an assistant district attorney for the Harris County District Attorney’s Office in Houston, Texas.
Prior to commencing his legal career, Knox served as an infantry officer and light armored reconnaissance officer for the U.S. Marine Corps, before his honorable discharge as a captain. He completed three combat deployments to Iraq and was awarded the Bronze Star with Combat V, a Purple Heart, and two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals with Combat Vs.
Outside of work, Knox enjoys spending time with his family and pursuing his two favorite hobbies of cattle ranching and bird hunting.
- Represented multiple landowners in royalty disputes matters with operators in the Permian Basin, Eagle Ford and Haynesville oil fields.
- Represented multiple landowners in breach of mineral and surface lease disputes with operators in the Permian Basin.
- Represented a Permian Basin landowner in a breach of contract/trespass case against a publicly traded midstream company obtaining a seven-figure settlement for the landowner.
- Represented U. S. Steel, in defense of a breach of contract/breach of warranty/products liability case involving casing materials on a well site, obtaining a non-suit from Plaintiff.
- Represented Palmer of Texas, an oilfield equipment manufacturer, in defense of a products liability / breach of warranty / breach of contract case involving the failure of commercial liquid storage tanks.
- Represented a national oilfield service company as plaintiff in a mineral lien case against a publicly traded energy company obtaining a high six figure settlement.
- Represented ExxonMobil as plaintiff in a maritime allision claim against a shipping company that damaged a refinery dock.
Energy Lease Negotiation:
- Represented multiple landowners in drafting and negotiating mineral leases with operators.
- Represented multiple landowners in drafting and negotiating surface use agreements with operators.
- Represented multiple landowners in drafting and negotiating ROWs with pipeline and power companies.
- Represented multiple landowners in drafting and negotiating solar option to lease and lease agreements for solar facilities.
- Represented John Paul DeJoria, former owner of Patron Tequila and founder of Paul Mitchell, in a breach of fiduciary duty matter involving an oilfield water remediation company that went bankrupt, obtaining a no-liability judgment.
- Represented Dresser-Rand Corporation in a theft of trade secret matter and defeated an ANTI-SLAPP motion by the defendants both in the trial court and after oral argument to a panel of the Texas 1st Court of Appeals.
- Represented a start-up apparel company as plaintiff in a breach of contract case against the manufacturer of the apparel, obtaining a six-figure jury verdict in Harris County, Texas.
- Represented an oilfield service company and employee in defense of a non-compete lawsuit filed by the former employer.
- Represented a national bank and employee in a non-compete lawsuit against a former employer.
- Represented a publicly traded heavy equipment manufacturer as plaintiff in enforcement of a non-compete and theft of trade secrets matter against former employees and their new employer. Argued appeal of denial of Defendants’ Anti-SLAPP motion to the Texas 1st COA.
Toxic Tort Litigation:
- Represented Waste Management, Inc. in the defense of a billion-dollar enforcement action brought by Harris County. The defense was called “one of the greatest defense victories in Texas history” by The Texas Lawbook (November 14, 2014).
- Represented Waste Management, Inc. in the defense of a toxic tort brought by landowners for legacy contamination.
- Represented Waste Management, Inc. in the defense of a toxic tort brought by Galveston Bay commercial fishermen for contamination of shrimp and oyster catches.
Personal Injury Litigation:
- Represented the Joe’s Crab Shack restaurant chain in a personal injury case, obtaining a no-liability summary judgment in Harris County, Texas.
- Represented Fry’s Electronics, Inc. in defense of a personal injury case, obtaining a no-liability summary judgment in Harris County, Texas.
- Represented Fry’s Electronics, Inc. in defense of a breach of warranty/breach of contract case, obtaining a jury verdict of no liability in Tarrant County, Texas.
- Represented multiple transgender clients navigate the Texas legal process related to name and gender correction on official government documents.
- Represented a Texas death row inmate, Anthony Shore, on the federal appeal of his death sentence by a Harris County, Texas jury. Presented oral argument to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit in November of 2016.
Awards and Honors
- Featured as the cover story of the 2019 Super Lawyers Magazine, “The Greater Good”
- Named to “Texas Rising Stars,” Business Litigation, Super Lawyers, ThomsonReuters, 2018-2019
- Named a “Lawyer on the Rise,” Texas Lawyer, 2017
- Elected fellow in Texas Bar Foundation, 2015
- Appointed Co-Chair, Speakers Bureau Committee, Houston Bar Association (HBA), 2014-2015
- Appointed Co-Chair of Membership Committee, Houston Bar Association (HBA), 2014-2015
- Appointed an Ambassador of the Houston Bar Association (HBA) 2014
- Recipient, President’s Award, Houston Bar Association, 2014
- Appointed Co-Chair, Judicial Polls Committee, Houston Bar Association (HBA)2013-2014
- Honored as a distinguished alumnus of River Oaks Baptist School, 2005
- Member, National Association of Royalty Owners (“NARO”)
- Member, Texas Land & Mineral Owners Association (“TLMA”)
- Board Member, Letting Everyone Achieve Dreams (“LEAD”)
- Legacy Council Member, Darrel K. Royal Dementia and Alzheimer’s Research Fund, 2014-2019
- Committee Member, Armed Forces Appreciation Day, Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
- Member, American Legion
- Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Founder and Member, Tom T. Waugh Society
- Member, 2nd Marine Division Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas